Being that it’s been 9 years since my first Ludum Dare (this is my third), I figured I would compare the experiences.
Social experiences are big on the internet, but it still has a ways to go. The first Ludum Dare, I used Rhapsody as a music service. For this Ludum Dare, I have Spotify. I tried out the Ludum Dare Sound Drop music list. It’s interesting, but listening to a shared music list with a bunch of strangers isn’t the ‘killer app’ of social.
The first Ludum Dare, I used IRC to communication with the group. I got into IRC more during my second Ludum Dare. It’s pretty much the same for this one, except twitter provides short summaries of what’s going on.
Coding wise, I was using Visual Studio 6 and DirectDraw for my first one, and for this one I’m using a C compiler for the SNES. If I was targeting Windows, I would most likely use SDL and Hekkus Sound System with Visual Studio 2010. The available platforms has greatly increased, and many of the platforms are more accessible. Cross platform tools have also exploded. Tools like HaXE/NME, AGK, and Unity allow a single program to be deployed across various platforms with almost no concern for the platform being targeted. Anyone wanting to develop a game only has to invest a little time into learning the tools.
Graphically, I’m still using Photoshop 6. I’ve gained a few additional tools, and developed support tools for a few of the tools that I used to have. My selection of tools would be different if I wasn’t targeting the graphically limited SNES.